Thursday, December 27, 2007

Review of Naruto: Rise of a Ninja

Alright, now that the Christmas hangover is done, it's time to start blogging. I went to Gamestop yesterday and picked up a used copy of Naruto: ROAN and jusst finished it today. Yeah. That should tell you a little bit about the game.
Good things first. Now, this was my first Naruto game I've ever played, aside for one or two matches on Naruto: ultimate ninja. It's got good graphics, and Konoha is pretty large. Not Grand Theft Auto huge, but pretty big. The bosses, while near impossible for me should be only chalenging for people who have played a few other Naruto games. On top of that, it's got some pretty basic RPG elements and it being the first Naruto game where you can walk around helps.
Now onto the bad things. The main thing I disliked about this game was the lack of characters and the lack of character interaction. You play as Naruto throughout the story mode, which I can understand. But a problem that pops up there is the fact that it only goes to episode 80 (Which is where Naruto fights Gaara). I don't know how many of you have finished the series in Japanese and are moving on to Shippuden, but the fact that in English we're up to the Naru vs Sasu part just makes the game seem much more short. Back to the characters. Yeah, even in vs mode, you can only fight as Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, Kakashi, Kiba, Gaara, Rock Lee, Neji, Orochimaru and the 3rd Hokage. The rest of them don't even show up in the game. Gone are Temari, Kankuro, Shino, Shikamaru and most of all Hinata; they only appear in the show's cutscenes. Now in Naruto: ultimate ninja 3, you had a ton of characters to choose from, like Anko, ANBU Kakashi, Kabuto, the members of the Sound 4 (I think). Point is, there aren't a lot of characters to choose from on vs or X-box live. And most of the missions just freaking blow. Yeah, go find your own purse, you old hag!
Good parts: Large area, decent 360 graphics and challenging bosses.
Bad parts: Lack of characters and character interaction, extremely short and crappy missions.
Final score: I give it a 7/10. Two of those points come from it being my first Naruto game. I'm done. Now I'm off to play Bioshock. Catch you next time.

Hentai forever,
Kyouger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, as an avid non-fan of Microsoft and X-Box, reading this review actually made me smile. Seriously, if the only playable female character is Sakura I now know I wouldn't touch this game even if it wasn't on a system I didn't completely loathe with all my being. I've been following the Ultimate Ninja series on the PS2 and those are good games, with LOTS of playable characters and (at least in UN2) LOTS of customization. I seriously can't get over that character list though, no Temari, no Tsunade, no Hinata, no Shikamaru (how can you have a Naruto game without Shikamaru?) , no Shino, no Kankuro, no Anko, no, Kurenai, no Shizune, no Ino... did they just decide to cut out all the characters that made Naruto cool. Oh well, guess I just have another reason to laugh in Microsoft's face while I go off and play my excellent Nintendo and Sony made game systems.